Saturday, March 26, 2011

Key Elements of My Mystara

I gotta say that while I identify
with them dark-skinned natives --
they've got a crappy Armor Class
and are going to get killed, man!
Mystara has a hold on my imagination, as well as a strong (and well-deserved) association with D&D.

Paramount in the list is GAZ 1: The Grand Duchy or Karameikos. Several aspects of this setting that I love are:
  •  the two clashing / merging cultures that characterize the humans of that land -- the Thyatians and Traladarans;
  • the Vyalia and Callari Elves (who encounter problems with the Shadow Elves during the War of the Immortals);
  • the Black Eagle Barony;
  • a home for the locations of modules B2: Keep on the Borderlands and B5: Horror on the Hill;
  • the Grand Duke and his family and the Karameikan court (which is filled with interesting characters).
Next in the list are the modules X1: Isle of Dread and X2: Castle Amber (Chateau d'Amberville). Both modules that I absolutely enjoyed due to the implied break and expansion of the 'generic' D&D setting. X1 was one of the earliest modules I owned (and absolutely loved due to the lost world feel though I did not yet have that term in my vocabulary). X2 really broke the mold of dungeon crawls for me, and though I never played or ran that damn module, it really gave me a sense of history and story just be reading through it.

A lot of other modules in the B-series of modules and the Gazetteer series round out my list, which I should probably visit in more posts in "Mining Mystara" series.

2 comments:

  1. best part of Mystara (for me) is/was Hollow World.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I liked the Hollow World as part of the Wrath of the Immortals set adventure... but how was adventuring in it?

    ReplyDelete

That's my side of things. Let me know what you think, my friend.