Saturday, April 14, 2012

On the Radar: Chaosium Rising

With a sudden slew of releases on RPGNow, Chaosium has snagged my attention -- primarily due to the variety and the implied quality of the PDFs.

Though my primary experience with Chaosium has been Call of Cthulhu, I've also collected a number of their other books and have always been impressed by the amount of detail worked into the setting material.

Here are some of the releases that have caught my interest for a closer read:
  • Cthulhu by Gaslight, 3rd Edition -- I never picked up the 1890s ruleset for Call of Cthulhu in my younger days. There was always something about the time period that made the idea of running or playing CoC in it daunting. Now, with more years under my belt, I'm looking at this sourcebook afresh in the hopes of better grounding my knowledge of the era.
  • Four Free Cthulhu Invictus PDFs: Bestiae, Patrocinium, Populus, and Fabulae. Horror roleplaying in Ancient Rome has a particular challenge level of its own. But with TV shows like Rome and Spartacus on air currently and in the recent past, it's just a little bit less distant, a little less idealized, and a whole lot more attainable visually and story-wise for players. And if you need more source material for the era, there's always the Cthulhu Invictus Companion and the non-Chaosium (but still Basic Role Playing system-based) RPG Rome: The Life and Death of the Republic.
  • Devils' Gulch is a setting geared for an Wild West or even Weird West campaign. Given my fascination for the genre, I'll definitely be looking at this book to see how the treatment is handled in the BRP system.
  • Last, but not least, is the 4th Edition of Masks of Nyarlathotep. This is a classic Call of Cthulhu campaign, with tons of source material, interesting NPCs, and foes worthy of many an Investigator's steel. If you don't have this in PDF yet, pick it up.

What I really love is the detail on the butt -- of the pistol grips! Geez. Seriously, though --
this cover has just given me an idea for a superheroic character with mystical pistols.

No comments:

Post a Comment

That's my side of things. Let me know what you think, my friend.