Friday, May 20, 2011

Alternative Resource Material for Fading Suns

My favorite kitchen sink setting is Fading Suns, a game I've mentioned in the past. In addition to having some pretty obvious sources of inspiration (Dune) and some not so obvious sources (Hyperion, Against A Dark Background, Feersum Endjinn, and perhaps "Way of Cross and Dragon"), it's a setting that can lend itself easily to many campaign premises, or even one-shot, change-of-pace adventures.

I've run Fading Suns games inspired by Westerns and Chanbara, suggested long-term plots informed by horror movies, conspiracy tales, and victorian-era comedy of manners vignettes. I've gleefully taken mcguffins from post-human SF and from epic fantasy, and pilfered interesting characters from sources as varied as movies, novels, TV shows, and NPCs from other RPGs.

As Fading Suns 3rd Edition approaches, I think I'll also be starting a series of posts on various RPGs I've taken some stuff from and smushed into the setting somehow (not that hard, there are a lot of adventure hooks that jump out at you as you read various sourcebooks). Only this time, I'll try to be a bit more thoughtful about how I do it!

4 comments:

  1. I've never played Fading Suns but I always thought it looked interesting. It certainly has inspirations I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Trey: I'm glad you find it interesting! I suppose I could mention the historical inspirations as well (Age of Sail, the 'Dark Ages', and various colonies) but the list was getting a bit long.

    What's nice is that it still retains its core character, despite all these influences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post makes me miss Fading Suns. Too many games, too litle time. :( next time I will run FS based on Banks' Against A Dark Background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @spielmeister: I too plan on running at again soon. But (*whew*) Against a Dark Background? Props to you!

    ReplyDelete

That's my side of things. Let me know what you think, my friend.