Monday, September 23, 2013

Blog Wandering: Krull, Ergo, and a Cyclops!

from http://goodwillhunting4geeks.blogspot.com/

Blog Wandering: Taking a brief break from writing stuff to point you at great content (possibly gaming related) that I chance upon on on the web.

I was thinking of a mini-series on nabbing memorable NPCs from TV and Movies and recasting them in D&D worlds, when I remembered the movie Krull and the character Ergo the Magnificent.

There were two quotes from this character that really stuck with me in a film rife with liftable NPCs (the main characters, not so much). The first quote is a fantastic establishing line, reverberating with false bravado mixed with caution, quite appropriate for a half-competent mage in a dangerous world:

"I am Ergo the magnificent. Short in stature, tall in power, narrow of purpose and wide of vision. And I do not travel with peasants and beggars. Goodbye!"

The other one, a quote mixed with regret, was said to the Rell the Cyclops when actually forced to bid adieu to an almost-friend:

"... we never had the time."

The latter one is harder to verify, unless I hunt down a copy of the film. But it does speak to the hint of a great friendship, had Rell survived the movie. In any case, I was thinking of finding or statting out the two almost-friends in a partnership for encounters in bars, roads, or even dungeons in a D&D world.

But then I found a page on the blog Goodwill Hunting 4 Geeks on a possible updating and retrofitting of the movie (plot and recasting). I like the premise of the terrible evil they are fighting to be an equivalent of the Borg, being the techno element of the technofantasy adventure, and the more fantasy elements being native to the world.

I also like the inspired casting of Tommy Lee Jones as Ynyr the Old One, and Hellen Mirren as the Widow of the Web. Perhaps, instead of merely an NPC write up, an entire mini-campaign should be crafted!

However, they really need to rename the central weapon of the hero -- the Glaive -- as people will be confused in this modern era why the named this thing after a very different looking pole arm.

2 comments:

That's my side of things. Let me know what you think, my friend.