Thursday, March 14, 2013

Quick Hits - March 2013

Cubicle 7 is coming out with some neat Doctor Who stuff on all the incarnations of over favorite Timelord, starting with the First Doctor. Hope to do a review soon.

Also, because of some Transformers-related posts on GooglePlus, I've become interested in two ongoing IDW comics series:

  • Transformers: Robots In Disguise; and
  • Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye

primarily because there's a certain depth to the setting, a greying of the sides of the Cybertronian war (which has ended for now), and some fantastic, surprising, and shocking characterization of some Autobots and Decepticons that have become my favorites. The humor, and occasional light-hearted stories make a fine counterpoint to the dark past of Cybertron and the surprising history of some well-known heroes and villains.

I particularly liked the spotlight on Ratchet in this issue:


Lastly, I'm working on a Steampunk / Wuxia RPG ruleset -- tinkering with FUDGE, FATE, and (gasp) Fuzion for this Frankenstein system. It means I've been on a steady diet of Wuxia films. The big winners have been Wu Xia (with Donnie Yen and Takeshi Kaneshiro) and Reign of Assassins (with Michelle Yeoh).

The stories are good, there's some humor, great fight scenes, and some tragedy and drama and human moments strung together into satisfying films.

Of course, your mileage and taste may differ.

2 comments:

  1. I like the Wu Xia- I last did that using a Storyteller variation and I've been thinking about how to port that over to FATE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I can share my somewhat weird, horribly unbalanced kluge rules when done.

    ReplyDelete

That's my side of things. Let me know what you think, my friend.