Monday, August 22, 2011

Inspiration: Movie Trailers

The Three Musketeers (2011)



Apparently a slightly more fantastic (and a bit steampunkish) take on the classic story. Let's hope the swordplay matches the rest of the spectacle in the trailer.

If only I could understand most of the Alatriste RPG -- but then again, there's no shortage of swordfighting rules in the RPGverse. All that jumping and falling suggests the use of a bit more cinematic ruleset though...

The Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001)



I really enjoyed this movie when it came out. I enjoyed the martial arts infusion into the setting, along with the lavish attention paid to period locations, sets, and costumes.

This and my own understanding of the development of martial arts (weapons + barehanded) makes me want to revisit how Monks were treated in the classic D&D ruleset. Because sometimes the martial artists can be "ascetics", but needn't be. Many modern ones certainly aren't, and a lot of the various techniques arose not from priests but from fighters dedicated to improving their fighting skills.

4 comments:

  1. Did you see The Musketeer? It was the Three Musketeers, but with the action sequences directed by a Hong Kong director, Tsui Hark if I'm not mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nah, haven't seen it! When did it come out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should also check out the documentary Reclaiming the Blade. It is great for thinking about ways to reclaim the monk class for FRPGs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @FrDave: I've seen it; excellent documentary. It really does explain how sword fighting (which includes what everyone knows as fencing) is a martial art as well, and there were many techniques that were lost that are now being rediscovered.

    ReplyDelete

That's my side of things. Let me know what you think, my friend.