Sunday, February 9, 2014

Gaming Culture: Consuming Podcasts & Hangouts

Logo of one of the podcasts
I listen to. Do you know
which one this is?
I listen to a fair number of gaming and gaming-related podcasts, and have been working through a bunch of online interviews and hangouts.

The great things about this are:

  • getting exposure to concerns, views, and opinions that were new or unusual when compared to my own gaming culture experience over in the U.S. and back here in the Philippines;
  • learning about new RPGs, revisiting old ones;
  • studying the history of our hobby from accounts of researchers and people who are / were there at the time;
  • thinking and re-thinking my position on game theory, socio-political issues raised within the industry in the community;
  • and learning about interesting related content and art that inspire or were inspired by the hobby.
So I hope to tackle a few of these podcasts in clusters and individual portions, to just express why certain things resonate with me: be it nostalgia, new ideas, or just sheer geek delight.

And besides, I'm getting gunshy about some of my Border Wardens and other campaign posts -- though I am working on them, honest!

1 comment:

  1. Super cool- I'm always interested in what people are listening to and what they're getting from them. I often see recommendation lists for RPG podcasts, but these often don't give a sense of the approach or what a particular listener's getting from them. I've had some conversations with people where my take-away from a podcast is completely different from someone else's (especially with some history podcasts)

    ReplyDelete

That's my side of things. Let me know what you think, my friend.

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...