Sunday, February 9, 2014

Gaming Culture: Consuming Podcasts & Hangouts

Logo of one of the podcasts
I listen to. Do you know
which one this is?
I listen to a fair number of gaming and gaming-related podcasts, and have been working through a bunch of online interviews and hangouts.

The great things about this are:

  • getting exposure to concerns, views, and opinions that were new or unusual when compared to my own gaming culture experience over in the U.S. and back here in the Philippines;
  • learning about new RPGs, revisiting old ones;
  • studying the history of our hobby from accounts of researchers and people who are / were there at the time;
  • thinking and re-thinking my position on game theory, socio-political issues raised within the industry in the community;
  • and learning about interesting related content and art that inspire or were inspired by the hobby.
So I hope to tackle a few of these podcasts in clusters and individual portions, to just express why certain things resonate with me: be it nostalgia, new ideas, or just sheer geek delight.

And besides, I'm getting gunshy about some of my Border Wardens and other campaign posts -- though I am working on them, honest!

1 comment:

  1. Super cool- I'm always interested in what people are listening to and what they're getting from them. I often see recommendation lists for RPG podcasts, but these often don't give a sense of the approach or what a particular listener's getting from them. I've had some conversations with people where my take-away from a podcast is completely different from someone else's (especially with some history podcasts)

    ReplyDelete

That's my side of things. Let me know what you think, my friend.